I was looking at a chapter in the "Teachings of Howard W. Hunter" manual and I found some quotes that I really liked. Here they are if you're interested.
"Part of our difficulty as we strive to acquire spirituality is the feeling that there is much to do and that we are falling far short. Perfection is something yet ahead for every one of us; but we can capitalize on our strengths, begin where we are, and seek after the happiness that can be found in pursuing the things of God. We should remember the Lord’s counsel:
“Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great. Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.” (D&C 64:33–34.)
(He continued...) The place to begin is here. The time to start is now. The length of our stride needs be but one step at a time. God, who has “designed our happiness,” will lead us along even as little children, and we will by that process approach perfection. None of us has attained perfection or the zenith of spiritual growth that is possible in mortality. Every person can and must make spiritual progress. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the divine plan for that spiritual growth eternally. It is more than a code of ethics. It is more than an ideal social order. It is more than positive thinking about self-improvement and determination. The gospel is the saving power of the Lord Jesus Christ with his priesthood and sustenance and with the Holy Spirit. With faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and obedience to his gospel, a step at a time improving as we go, pleading for strength, improving our attitudes and our ambitions, we will find ourselves successfully in the fold of the Good Shepherd. That will require discipline and training and exertion and strength. But as the Apostle Paul said, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Philip. 4:13.) ...end of quotes ;)
I love those reminders. Some days are harder than others though, when it comes to remembering and applying. One step at a time and capitalize on our strengths... begin where we are. I don't know about anyone else, but as a human, I often feel inadequate and forget to take one step at a time. I see how I "should be" and compare it to where I actually am. It can be disheartening sometimes. I had a day like this recently. I was surrounded by young moms at one point in the day. (Younger than me.) They were all talking about their pregnancies and the joys and woes of motherhood. I, being unable to contribute to this topic, sat quietly in my awkwardness. The whole "infertility" struggle (said with sarcastic hand quotes haha) makes a lot of social situations tough. It's easy to feel inadequate when you're surrounded by people that seem to be doing things perfectly.
In these moments, I sometimes forget that God has a plan for everyone, each person has their own struggles, and things will work out. I forget... and I think about what I should be, perfect, and what I actually am, imperfect. That applies to other situations as well, such as financial, health, beauty, spirituality, intelligence, and a bunch of others I don't feel like listing. ;) I'm also often caught up dwelling on the fact that my mom hasn't talked to me in over a year, she has her own trials, and hasn't really been a part of my life for the past 15 years. I smell rejection, one of human's worst fears. I hear many women talk about their moms and how they don't know what they'd do without them. In any of these comparative situations, after a day or two I'm reminded of my own blessings, that it's ok to be at a different stage than others, and that each person has their own trials, etc.
To start where we are takes a lot of patience and faith. It is tough. We can have the help of the Lord though, no matter the personal circumstances. He is more understanding of us than we are of ourselves. He knows who we can become and He will help us get there if we will trust in Him. I hope with all of my complaining I can also point out some of the blessings that I have noticed. Some of which I wouldn't have if my life had taken any other route. My parents' divorce helped me to commit to wanting to have an Eternal marriage and to do my best to keep it strong. (And even though I don't deserve him, I feel like I've been blessed with the best, kindest, most funny and supportive husband.) My struggles with insecurity continue to humble me haha. The inability to have children has challenged us and broken us over and over but has brought us closer and hopefully softened our hearts to others and their trials. Rejection etc is hopefully creating in me a better person than I was before. Each person is blessed in different ways and each person is fighting their own battles. I'm grateful for the Atonement, the chance to keep trying when I fail, and the reminder to take a step at a time.
Referring back to the teachings of President Hunter, "With faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and obedience to his gospel, a step at a time improving as we go, pleading for strength, improving our attitudes and our ambitions, we will find ourselves successfully in the fold of the Good Shepherd."


Tiah, this post is so inspiring and uplifting. You have been the best example ever to me of choosing kindness and gentleness in response to challenges that could have made you bitter and selfish. I am amazed at your ability to continue brightening lives of others no matter what is happening in your life.
ReplyDelete