Sunday, February 7, 2016

Hope

Winter is pretty tough. Has anyone else felt that way? I didn't know that Seasonal affective disorder or s.a.d. was a thing until we moved up north. It's known as "winter depression" apparently and shows its not so lovely face in the late winter months. The symptoms include stuff like "persistent low mood, irritability, feelings of despair, guilt and worthlessness, feeling lethargic and sleepy during the day, sleeping for longer than normal, craving carbohydrates and gaining weight." Let's be real here, winter makes me into a full grown mama bear (minus the mama part but that's for a different time.) We're St. George people so we've had to majorly adjust to the lack of sunshine, freezing weather, smog, snow and ice, and all that fun stuff. Anyway, I didn't write this to complain, I want to list some things that I've found that can help. I hope it can help someone else struggling with seasonal affective disorder. I'd love to hear your ideas too if you're familiar with the s.a.d. train.

1. Practice gratitude. Thinking about the good can help you get through rough days. I sometimes start my lists with a bitter attitude and then end up feeling better afterwards. 

2. Take good care of yourself. Exercise is always a good thing, but it can also help change your mood. (Endorphins??) Yoga is another option to help improve mood and perspective, if you're into that. Getting enough sleep and eating healthy are also important in feeling good. P.S. We're not perfect at anything on this list, we're still working on everything. :)

3. Pray for God's help. He knows you, loves you, and is always there. He can help even when it seems like no one else understands what you're going through, there's no better Friend. Reading scriptures and participating in activities that help us feel the Spirit are also great for adding light to the day. 

4. Spend time with family & friends. This one can be tough especially when you're feeling down and just want to spend time with your buddy Netflix. Getting out and doing something fun with people you care about helps get rid of winter blues. Netflix is good too though, and ice cream... haha yeah anyway. Being around kind people can make a big difference in any season. 

5. Do what you love. Go on a vacation. Read. Join a sports team. Listen to your favorite songs. Go to a movie. Have fun! This option is different for everyone and that's awesome. Winter can be more fun when you're doing things that make you happy and keep you going. Seasonal affective disorder is thought to be caused by the lack of sunlight, so take advantage of sunny days!

There's some ideas and there are probably a million others. (Check out Bryce's new blog, I think that he has great insights... aguywithatie.blogspot.com) 

With any bad mood or rough day, I have to remind myself: "Keep going, you got this." 


Some helpful scriptures if you're interested:
D&C 6:36 "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."
Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."


2 comments:

  1. It seems like going outside even when it's cold or overcast helps me. Even a little bit of natural light coming through the clouds is better than indoor lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like going outside even when it's cold or overcast helps me. Even a little bit of natural light coming through the clouds is better than indoor lighting.

    ReplyDelete